New Zealand nurse opportunities in Australia

Ever stopped to wonder what it would be like to take your nursing skills to Australia for a while? The Great Southern Land is a popular location for New Zealand’s registered nurses to work and, with so many options (and adventures) on offer, it’s little wonder.

HealthX has helped many New Zealand residents and citizens find short and long-term work in Australia and we’ve answered a lot of questions for them along the way. We’ve pulled together some of those questions – and their answers – below.

HealthX is not an agency. We directly employ our nurses, and then place them in leading health and aged care service providers across remote and regional areas around Australia.

We’ve been around for a decade and have successfully placed hundreds of nurses in short and long-term contracts across the country.

If you choose to make your move to Australia through HealthX, we’ll provide you all the advice you need to help make your move across the Tasman easier.

When you get to Australia and start your new role, you’ll have access to our Soft Landing Program, designed to make your move and transition to your new way of life as simple as possible.

For the duration of your time working with us, you’ll have access to a delegated support person and our online forum to chat with other nurses working with HealthX in Australia.

What’s the advantage of coming to Australia with HealthX? What kind of opportunities are there for registered nurses in Australia?

Experienced registered nurses are in high demand across regional and remote Australia, which means there are plenty of roles available for HealthX to match you with. HealthX is currently looking for registered nurses  with experience in the following areas for a range of short-term contracts:

  • Aged Care
  • Mental Health
  • Remote Area Nursing
  • Emergency
  • Theatre
  • Medical / Surgical
  • ICU / CCU

I’m a New Zealand resident, not a citizen – are there opportunities for me too?

Absolutely! We offer a range of options through our Registered Nurse Sponsorship Program. Under this program we employ and sponsor full-time qualified Registered Nurses with a minimum of two years’ experience in the relevant clinical setting, and place them with our partner facilities for two years.

What experience, qualifications and credentials will I need?

You’ll need AHPRA registration to work as a Registered Nurse in Australia.

You’ll also need:

  • Minimum 2 years Registered Nursing experience in your speciality field from Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland, America and Canada, and/or
  • Minimum 2 years’ full time registered nurse experience in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland, America and Canada, and/or JCI Accredited, ACHS or Accreditation Canada from Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, UAE, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia.

What visas will I need?

If you are a New Zealand citizen, you do not need to apply for a visa before you come to Australia. You will be granted a Special Category visa (SCV) when you arrive, if you meet certain entry requirements. If you are a New Zealand Resident, HealthX can sponsor you and provide a migration agent to help step you through the process.

What vaccinations will I need?

Making sure you have the correct vaccinations is a really important step in the process of applying to come and work with HealthX. If you’re planning to come and work as an aged care nurse, you’ll need a current flu vaccination.

For acute roles, you’ll need to provide evidence of the following vaccinations:

  • Varicella (chicken pox). A history of disease (chickenpox) is no longer acceptable evidence. You’ll need to provide proof of immunity to Varicella OR evidence of completing a course of two vaccinations.
  • Pertussis. You’ll need to provide evidence of a Pertussis Vaccination within the last 10 years.
  • Heptitis B: Evidence of an age appropriate course of immunisation AND Serology are both required.

You’ll need to provide documentation of an age-appropriate course of Hep B Immunisation. Accelerated courses are not acceptable OR If all efforts to locate an immunisation history (such as GP, University, Hospital/Health Service or Medicare) then a Hep B Statutory Declaration may be completed.

This MUST include the total number of vaccinations received AND approximately when they were given. You’ll also need to provide serology for Hep B Surface antibodies.

  • Measles, Mumps & Rubella. If born prior to 1996 then no documentation is required. If not, you’ll need serology showing immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella OR evidence of 2 MMR Vaccinations.
  • HEP A – This is only needed for certain locations in Central Queensland. Our team can advise.

What advantages are there to working in regional and remote Australia?

When you work through HealthX, you’ll be placed in a contract in a regional or remote facility. You alway have full control over where you end up and what kind of healthcare facility you work in. As you already know, Australia is a big place and there’s plenty of adventures to be had – particularly once you get off the beaten track.

Our nurses love the opportunities to see new places, make lifelong friends and become part of tight-knit communities they may never have known existed otherwise.

What else do I need to do?

ou’re off on the adventure of a lifetime, so don’t forget your bathers, hat, and favourite pair of sunnies. The wide open spaces of Australia beckon!

If you’re interested in making your Australian dream become a reality – for the short or long-term, please contact our friendly team today.